Labour Party T.D. for Dublin North-West

Promoting the Labour Party values of Freedom, Community, Equality and Democracy

Friday, March 9, 2012

One Year On

We have approached the one year anniversary of this government and I thought it would be a good time to reflect on all that has happened in the past 12 months. I also wanted to give some outline on the policy areas I am focusing on to address the major issues of unemployment and educational disadvantage.

This week, I was speaking to a group of Sociology students about my role as a TD and I was asked what sort of an experience the past 12 months has been. My reply was firstly how much of a privilege it was to be elected to represent the people of Dublin North West.  I said that every day I come into work I’m reminded of that privilege and the trust that has been placed in me.

I stood for election to represent the people of Finglas, Ballymun, Glasnevin and Santry because I felt I could be a voice for their concerns and be an advocate for their interests. I have done this every day I have been in here and I will continue to do this for as long as I have the privilege to do so.

When asked about my experience of the last year I also spoke about what had been achieved in that time. The Tánaiste said this week that one year on from the election our country ‘had stepped back from the edge’. I agree with him that things have improved with the economy stabilising and confidence growing, but these are merely the first steps in our recovery. There is still an unemployment crisis, an emigration crisis and huge issues relating to mortgage arrears and negative equity. These issues have enormous personal and societal impacts and while we have made progress on them in the past 12 months, more can be done.

To tackle unemployment, we have introduced a Jobs Initiative, an Action Plan for Jobs and the Strategic Investment fund. We have also introduced a new strategy to help jobseekers get back into employment called Pathways to Work. This is on top of over 20,000 additional internship, training and education places provided.

On Mortgage arrears we published the Keane Report on Mortgage Arrears as well as the Personal Insolvency Bill, which will give people workable solutions to mortgage arrears and unsustainable debt.

Other issues I have been proud we have been able to achieve has been the protection of basic social welfare rates, the €35 million to be spent this year to replace rented prefabs with permanent classrooms and the literacy and numeracy strategy. This Government has also removed 330,000 low-paid workers from paying the Universal Social Charge which is a real achievement.

While I am proud of these achievements, I know all too well that more has to be done to help those affected by the recession. Behind every job lost or person who emigrates is a personal story that often gets lost in the figures.

To address these issues, my focus has been to have a strong input into policies in the areas of education and unemployment.

As a member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Jobs, Social Protection and Education I have used my time to date on the committee to examine policy proposals and their impact. I have proposed that we build on these meetings to produce a comprehensive report on the issues of long term unemployment and youth unemployment. I want this report to have actionable policy proposals that will inform government policy and help those unemployed people into training, education or employment.

I am also working on policy responses to the issue of educational disadvantage and I want these proposals to drive government policy in this area.

Outside of this committee, I have become a member of the steering committee for Project Futsal, an initiative funded with European Union Regional Development Funds and set up between the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and the Welsh Football Trust. The project aims to up-skill those in long-term unemployment and to integrate disability football into mainstream football clubs. One of the initial project hubs is located in Ballymun, and links the FAI course with Local Employment Services, Dublin City University and Whitehall College of Further Education. The project, with a further hub in Ireland and one in Wales, is being extended to 12 hubs over the course of 2012.

These are areas I want to give particular focus to over the coming months. I believe they have the potential to have a real beneficial effect for the people I represent and the country as a whole.

We have taken the first steps towards recovery and I believe a strong foundation for growth has been laid. I want to use the opportunity that has been given to me to shape how we recover from this crisis so that at the end of these few years, we have made real progress for the benefit of all our people.

I am always available to assist or advise constituents with any matter and I can be contacted at 01 618 3280 or john.lyons@oir.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment