Labour Party T.D. for Dublin North-West

Promoting the Labour Party values of Freedom, Community, Equality and Democracy

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Response to the death of Savita Halappanavar


I have been contacted by a huge number of constituents in the last 24 hours as the details of the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar have emerged.

I share the serious concerns that so many people have expressed to me and I want to assure you that implementing the recommendations of the Expert Group report is a key issue for the Labour Party in Government.

As many people are aware, the Programme for Government negotiated by both Labour and Fine Gael on forming government contains the following commitment:

"We acknowledge the recent ruling of the European Court of Human Rights subsequent to the established ruling of the Irish Supreme Court on the X-case. We will establish an expert group to address this issue, drawing on appropriate medical and legal expertise with a view to making recommendations to Government on how this matter should be properly addressed."

I understand this report was presented to the Minister for Health on Tuesday and will be considered by the Cabinet shortly and I am assured the Government will act on foot of the report. I will work with my colleagues so that this is the case.

The shocking and tragic news of the death of Savita Halappanavar underlines the importance of acting on this matter. It also highlights the need to provide legal certainty and legal clarity, for situations like this, and I have no doubt that the Government will act on foot of the Group’s recommendations as a matter of urgency.

I am in agreement with Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore’s comments on this matter yesterday which stated:

"It's a heartbreaking case and I must say I was very upset reading it and hearing about it.  We need in this country to provide legal certainty, legal clarity, for a situation where a woman is requesting a termination of pregnancy in circumstances like this and that's why we decided to establish the Expert Group to look at the ABC case and to make recommendations to Government on what steps we can take to deal with that. That group has now completed its work, and has submitted its report to Minister for Health. We need to give our response to the Council of Europe by end of November, so I expect we will be considering the Expert Group report between now and end of  November and dealing with it then.  

"This issue has been with us now for 20 years and this is the first Government that has decided that were are going to deal with it.  We put place a process, an Expert Group chaired by Judge Ryan to address all of the issues, to make recommendations to us. That Expert  Group looked for an extension on the period of time they needed to consider the issues. It is a complex and sensitive area. They have now completed their work, submitted their report to Minister for Health and we will deal with it promptly.

"We need to provide legal clarity.....  Before this incredibly tragic and heartbreaking case we had already determined as a Government that we were going to deal with this by having the Expert Group and getting their recommendations."

I share the very strong feelings that have been expressed to me over the last 24 hours and I will be working with my party colleagues to act on the recommendations of the report as matter of priority.

Please feel free to call me on 618 3280 or john.lyons@oir.ie if you would like to discuss this matter further.

No comments:

Post a Comment